American Museum of Natural History

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Museum(s)  (posted by Susan)
Pick a museum and write a new poem that takes us there.

Dem bones, dem bones,
dem dinosaur bones
on display, made kids scream
and adults uncomfortable
gazing up at those gigantic
teeth.

Step down a level and you
are in the sea. Millions
of year ago, large sea snakes
slid underwater. Today clown-
fish glide through sea anemones,
and you can observe glowing
fire worms, and sharks.

Asteroids, native clothing
and art of countless
cultures, and a dim room
filled with mummies.

Impossible to see everything
this museum offers in one trip.
You can make the Planetarium
a part of it. A dark room
with narrated sky shows
on the ceiling. Had enough?
be sure to visit again.

14 Responses to American Museum of Natural History

1. susanstoo says:

Oh, I will. I remember standing in front of bony dinosaurs in a Museum of Natural History–NYC, I think. Evolution is fascinating. Love how you begin this poem in song.

2. oldegg says:

As a ten year old I visited my local museum and found a Dodo skeleton. I was amazed the bird was extinct as it seemed so big and strong like a fat goose. Sadly as it had no predators on its home island of Mauritius so it no longer had the ability to fly. When explorers visited the island and settled there animals such as dogs and pigs soon showed the Dodo who was boss so it became extinct! Such is evolution!

3. jaerose37 says:

I love this museum – particularly the stars and i would definitely want to visit again

4. gillena cox says:

I identify well with your dinosaur bones having gaped in a London museum while on vacation. It’s an awesome feeling really

Much❤🕊❤love

5. Ron. says:

The museum, like its poetic tribute here, is a definite jaw-dropper. Well done!

6. Sherry Marr says:

It sounds like a marvelous place, with everything from dinosaur bones, sea creatures and stars. I especially love the sky shows on the ceilings. Finally able to comment. Smiles.

Sara, I think you have visited our Houston Museum of Natural Science? Of course my alma mater, The University of Nebrasks Morrill Hall has more dinosaurs than most any of the other museums. You gave us a great tour of the greatest ones.