For No Reason

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Literacy  (posted by Susan)
Address the flowering of literacy~ one instance/element of how it is an entry ticket or a barrier ~ in your new poem.

“Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.” ~Kofi Annan

lit

International Literacy Day is 8 September 8th. Media: Djibril Kebe, UNESCO Media Section, d.kebe@unesco.org

I
knew
a man
born right here,
adult with children.
He never learned to read or write
so could not drive, help his children with homework,
send a letter, postcard, or obtain employment anywhere he had to read a sign.

12 Responses to For No Reason

1. Rall says:

The brevity of your poem gives emphasis to the tragedy of lives like this There are too ,many in this situation.

2. Sherry Marr says:

Oh that must be so difficult in this day and age. Wow. Hard on his kids too I imagine.

3. susanstoo says:

I suppose there are reasons–poor eyesight or other disabilities–so I don’t want to jump to conclusions. But it seems he had a family, so maybe other areas of his life made up for the absence of books and signs, etc? On the surface it seems a thin life.

4. oldegg says:

100 years ago there would be no problem as so much manual work did not require much skill and an X mark was fine as whoever witnessed it could write down his name alongside. Perhaps if we were all chipped with our information under the skin like pets we could be less picky!

5. jaerose37 says:

What a sobering write – really touching

6. Vivian Zems says:

To not read will be able to read is human tragedy.
    It’s akin to being in prison, I think.
    Thank you for highlighting this.