Admiration

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday – “Insects”  (posted by Kim)
“I’m fascinated with insects. We’ve had some large spiders in our house recently and I’ve noticed cobwebs appearing outside. Over the summer, I’ve watched dragonflies and butterflies, and shooed large moths, wasps and flies out of windows. I haven’t come across any large beetles this year, though, which was a disappointment.”

“For this week’s Haibun Monday, write about an encounter with an insect: it can be a beautiful or a scary experience, one that enlightened or surprised you; it can be about an ordinary or an unusual insect. Aim to write no more than three tight paragraphs about your encounter with an insect, followed by a traditional haiku that includes reference to the season.”

A small white lace web stretched between side of house and railing. One morning
we watched a tiny spider weaving a home, alone. We could not conceive
of wrecking such intricate weaving work. He melted our hearts. We named him Sal. We loved peeking at the door to check on his progress and pattern. Sal’s
house grew, as did he.

One sad morning, everything was gone, as if it had all been a dream. We hope Sal is well, with baby spiders to dote on. We miss him, but alas, have no forwarding address.

hedgehog prepares
ambles about with stuffed cheeks
provisions for Winter

20 Responses to Admiration

The tale about the tiny lone spider making its web touches at the heart. Makes me wonder if the hedgehog did a munch on him.

2. msjadeli says:

Sara, I enjoyed your haibun. I see sparrows and wrens hunting for spiders along the eaves, the ground, and elsewhere around the house. They make a tasty snack for them. I hope Sal decided to hide out safely.

3. Rob Kistner says:

The ballad of Sal, the spider — cool Sara… 🙂

4. Oh, Sal the spider! What became of him? Love it! 🙂

5. kim881 says:

I love the way you describe the web, Sara, that you checked on progress and pattern, and that you named your spider – we had one called Boris! A sweet story with, I hope, a happy ending and Sal’s not among the hedgehog’s winter provisions!

6. Misky says:

Their webs are really a thing of beauty. Our garden is a vast weave of them right now.

7. lynn__ says:

The saga of Sal…hedgehog looks suspicious!

8. I care both for spiders and hedgehogs…

9. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

They are truly a wonder and live in their own artistic creations!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )