Oh, The Foods You Swallow!

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Poetics: Looking for Sustenance
Posted by Grace in Poetics

Hi everyone! We have a guest host for today’s poetics – Lisa (aka Jade) – Grace

Taste in foods can change,
like disowning vegetables,
and discovering the sweet,
juiciness of fruit.
Just compare a cooked
carrot to a ripe strawberry.

When I was a child, there
was no other flavor than
chocolate (a myth heavily
promoted by my mother).
Chocolate bars, chocolate
ice cream, chocolate fudge,
and chocolate brownies.
I have since discovered
that my favorite ice cream
flavor is coffee. I love
butterscotch pudding,
and apple cider donuts.

Even something as simple
as chicken soup. For most
of my life, I hated it,
the smell, the taste, ugh!
Just in the last few years,
I have discovered my sister
makes the best chicken soup
in the world, even though
she insists it is the same
as my mother’s. (Hope
you’re not listening, Mom)

Food is a never-ending adventure,
which is why it is wise to never
say no, when someone asks you
to taste something new. Dive in!

16 Responses to Oh, The Foods You Swallow!

1. Frank Hubeny says:

Taste do change. It is surprising how memories of those tastes can last. I just now remember liking long ago those apple cider donuts.

Liked by 1 person

Cider donuts. Krispy Kreme donuts. Coffee ice cream. Vanilla ice cream. Personally I have never liked chocolate. It is amazing how tastes change through the years.

Liked by 1 person

3. As a child I loved fruit, and still do. My mom would have to stop me from eating 3 or 4 plums at a time. I can still hear her- “Linda Lee, no more plums, they’ll give you a bellyache!” Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Liked by 1 person

4. msjadeli says:

Sara, just reading this is making me hungry. Each food has its own character and does its best to entice us to taste ❤

5. rivrvlogr says:

I remember traveling as a child with my grandfather. We visited his sister, and she offered lemon meringue pie for dessert, which I declined, saying I didn’t like it. My grandfather didn’t scold me, but he told me I didn’t know what I was missing. End result – I’ve loved it from that time, on.

6. Grace says:

I love chocolate and ice cream then and now. And I love chicken soup too. So many happy memories with food inspired poems.

7. Tim Philippart says:

How about chocolate covered strawberries in coffee ice cream? Nice piece.