Matched Set

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Quadrille #89 – “Are You Set”  (posted by Merrill) – “set”

“Hello, dVerse Poets wherever you are! It’s Merril, and I’m hosting the dVerse pub today. It’s afternoon here in New Jersey, where we’re having a warm and breezy October day, but maybe the sun is setting now in your part of the world? Perhaps you’re about to set down your work to pick up your poetic pen? Open your mind, what you think is not set in stone. Or is it? Kevin Carey manages to use this clichéd phrase in an evocative way in his poem here.

Yes, you guessed it–the word is set.”

Twins were a set–
they dressed alike,
each had a pet,
both went on hikes.

Twins loved sunsets
on sand-cooled beaches,
adored tea sets,
and juicy peaches.

When they became grownups
their mindsets veered.
One loved shake-ups,
the other lived in fear.

17 Responses to Matched Set

1. rothpoetry says:

What an interesting twist at the end of your poem. I like it!

2. Truedessa says:

Nice way to use “set” I didn’t see that twist coming up at the end.

3. Rob Kistner says:

That’s the way of life Sara, but I hope the frightened one finds some oeace.

Liked by 1 person

4. msjadeli says:

Sara are these twins based on real people? Just wondering. I like the mystery you left at the end.

5. What a twist – and a wonderful take on the prompt.

Nice take on the prompt. Yes, sometimes twins do tend to part.

7. Frank Hubeny says:

They are individuals after all.

8. merrildsmith says:

I am so sorry for this very late response. I had a deadline for my book manuscript, and then my mom was in ER. . .life! 🙂 Interesting take on “set.” I suppose twins could end up being very different.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )