I Remember The Sound of Your Breath

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – October:  When Poets Dream, Lament, and Sing  (posted by Sanaa)

“October is my favorite time of the year as Autumn takes us away from the externally-focused energies of exuberant summertime and asks us to pause and consider how we feel, who we are, and to reminisce. We revisit the past during this time to integrate, grieve, reflect, and heal.

For today’s challenge, I want you all to draw inspiration from the YouTube playlist above. Pick a song that speaks to you poetically and write a poem.”

October reflects the past
in tarnished mirrors–
You remember the reverence
with which you watched
your love sleeping, listening

to the even, soft breath
like a whisper in your ear.
Stay up all night. If
your eyes are heavy
and close for even
a moment, it is a moment

you’ve missed, and cannot
get back. In today’s mirror
of clarity, focus shifts.
Suddenly no time exists
for you to simply listen.

(From Aerosmith: I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing)

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to I Remember The Sound of Your Breath

1. Mike Bayles says:

Very nice poem, Sarah

2. Helen L Dehner says:

You did Aerosmith proud, Sarah.

3. sanaarizvi says:

This is absolutely fantastic! 💖 I especially love; “If your eyes are heavy and close for even a moment, it is a moment you’ve missed, and cannot get back.” You have portrayed the emotions so well in this poem! Thank you so much for writing to the prompt. 😀

4. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

listening to the breathing. My cat is snoring, my dog just turned over, and my husband is giving little puffs of air – It’s all very soothing 🙂

5. Vivian Zems says:

October evokes allsorts of memories and I love how you did Aerosmith proud with this.

Wonderful poem! October is the beginning of the months of memories.

7. Sherry Marr says:

How lovely, to stay awake listening to the sound of one’s love, breathing. Sigh.

8. Subtle…deep and a great ending!!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )