Forgiving

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Forgiveness  (posted by Sumana)
“Sorry is the best word to earn happiness and peace if we are the wrong doer. What if when we are the victim? Is it easy to say, ‘to err is human, to forgive divine?’ Is forgiving someone our weakness or strength? Has the word ever posed any challenge in your life?”

“Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much.”— Oscar Wilde

Usually I can forgive
though it can take me
a long spell. Telling
someone I am sorry,
however, comes easily.
Odd, that there are
people whom I have never
met, yet cannot forgive.
If a face-to-face takes
place, how can I know
if they have truly
changed? In the long
run I believe forgiveness
helps to make you a stronger,
happier person.

24 Responses to Forgiving

1. susanstoo says:

The difference between the word “sorry” and actual forgiveness is one I take to heart.

2. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

It’s tricky – “sorry” has almost become a knee jerk response akin to “hello” and “goodbye”.

3. Sherry Marr says:

Well said, Sara. There are people in high places i doubt i can ever forgive for their crimes against humanity and the planet.

4. Sumana Roy says:

Forgiveness definitely leads to peace and happiness. A nice one, Sara.

5. gillena cox says:

Yes Sara i think also that the sorry should include a change of habit or circumstance

Much💞love

6. jaerose37 says:

I agree completely – well said!

7. oldegg says:

It is always best not to let others foolishness upset your own life.

8. thotpurge says:

Forgiving is about oneself – to move on. The other person has to find redemption on their own.

9. if it was easy…
    Such honest words that make the reader look at herself and ponder.
    Hope you are doing well.
    Leaving a purple ink smudge for you.
    ~Moonie

10. Sara,
    there is something extra in being able to see someone face to face, if forgiveness is an issue. It can sway one’s decision depending upon the engagements that ensue…It is a tough ask, especially to forgive oneself…

Strange, but reading this made me think, I don’t think anyone has ever asked forgiveness to me for anything serious nor forgiven me for anything very serious. The latter I’ve not asked or told either.

12. Just Barry says:

I’ve heard someone say that we forgive transgressors for our own sake, not theirs. I get that, and yet it’s still easier said than done. I nodded along with your musings here. Lots to take in.