The Choice They Made

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Prosery:  Between Heartbeats  (posted by Kim)

“We ask you to write a very short piece of prose that tells a story, with a beginning, a middle and an end, in any genre of your choice.

As it’s flash fiction, we have a limit of 144 words; an additional challenge is to hit 144 exactly. The special thing about Prosery is that we give you a complete line from a poem, which must be included somewhere in your story, within the 144-word limit.

From a poem by Louis MacNeice, entitled ‘Coda’, I’d like you to write a story that includes the following line from that poem:”

‘There are moments caught between heart-beats’.

Marriage plans fell part. No one knew why. The prospective groom and bride
remained close-mouthed.

Groom analyzed, and re-analyzed the situation, basically going in circles. He thought,
I do not want children. She agrees. Once we are husband and wife,
will she change her mind? So many of our friend’s marriages are shattered.
Fifty percent. Where would we be?

Bride was age-conscience. She was older. No matter how much they pledged
their love in tender romantic settings, would he eventually desire someone younger,
more energetic? She was not a gambler. She found the risk too great.

Once the wedding was cancelled, tearful parents and friends shocked, the almost-bride and nearly-groom went on separate trips. Would love fade or grow after a separation. Would they forget that there are moments caught between heartbeats? Perhaps they might never find that again.

(144 words)

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Choice They Made

1. msjadeli says:

I hope it turns out for them. So many things we worry about never come to pass…

2. kim881 says:

It’s probably better to remain close-mouthed about something so private. This is the problem with over-thinking anything, especially marriage, and comparison with other couples is never a good idea, as we are all different. I hope the separate trips helped them to resolve the issue.

3. Gina says:

if they were calculating, they were not feeling anything in my humble opinion, why did they never talk it out before canceling? well maybe for the better before tying the knot – a good piece of flash that makes me think of why people get cold feet at the very last minute

4. pvcann says:

If only they could go to the heart and steer clear of the mind, and perhaps they will come back if heart wins over mind. Wonderful tale.

5. rothpoetry says:

Some choices are very hard to make, but better made earlier than later! Great story.

6. Excellent story. I love “no one knew why” and then the conjecture that follows. Really drew me in!

7. Oh, I hope they do find it again!

8. Over analyzing is probably not the best thing to do… sounds like they are doomed to be alone.

9. jazzytower says:

Best not to put it all out there I think. They both know why. If it is to be, it will be. I like you take on the prompt.

Pat

10. lillian says:

Oh my……a sad tale but perhaps one where a couple really weigh the odds and end a relationship so there can possibly be a future for each as they go their own ways. They will always be a part of each other….just not together.