Ghost Town

For:  Poets and Storytellers United – Writers’ Pantry #18 – “Indulgences”
(posted by Rommy)

World is in a vise, gripped
by a spaceship
filled with a newly-
discovered  virus.
It has become
the Black Plague
of our 21st century. Little
red rubber suction feet
that invisibly adhere
themselves to us, taking
our breath as their own.
No end in sight. A blight
that isolates us from
each other, and I have
no mother or father’s
shoulders to cry on.
No pats on the back
of reassurance that
everything will be fine.
Anxiety rises like bile,
threatening to choke me.
This world is a ghost town.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Ghost Town

1. V.J. Knutson says:

It’s all so surreal. Good description.

2. As I am not going out, I don’t see the empty streets. As I live in a small country town, the streets are not so very full anyway, even at the best of times. But I can imagine that for many people it’s strange and ominous indeed.

3. gillena cox says:

“No pats on the back
    of reassurance that
    everything will be fine.”

I mean isn’t this the least expected of times

Be safe

Much💛🌺💛love

4. Strange times indeed. You described the feelings perfectly.

5. thotpurge says:

Exactly.. anxiety and ghost town describe these times best …and endless apathy from a large section as well…

6. -Eugenia says:

You nailed it with your words. Brilliant writing.

7. Cressida says:

No matter how old we are we all feel that need for reassurance from a parent in a crisis. Living in New York must be frigntening at the moment.Sendng you virtual hugs. Take care and stay safe

8. Beverly Crawford says:

“The world is a ghost town” is very descriptive …. until (in our area, at least) you visit one of the home supply stores (which are deemed essential). There you will find everyone who has nowhere else to go, some just wandering around for a change of scenery from their shelter at home! Strange Covid world!

9. sanaarizvi says:

I feel this so deeply! Anxiety levels are certainly increasing.. hope the situation improves soon, Sara 💝

10. Geri Lawhon says:

Great post as it brings out the realization of how scary this virus can be. I hope we are not still talking about this next winter.