Garage Suffocation

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – “Make some room”  (posted by Laura Bloomsbury)
“Conjure a room or rooms in the literal, functional, metaphorical, imaginary, and/or fantastical sense.”

A converted garage served
as my apartment long ago.
I was able to touch
the stove from the bed. Spending
far too much time
in that room, precipitated
my claustrophobia. Every
dwelling since then has had
a profusion of windows–
light, airy. Walls may
be decorated artfully,
but you do not mistake
them for windows.

25 Responses to Garage Suffocation

1. Dale says:

I’m having trouble breathing just imagining living within those four walls!
    Bring on the natural light!

2. The density of the space is oppressive, and I say that as an Architect. You wonderfully embraced the tenor of the space itself’s throat closing up. Wicked cool description of an intensely NOT wicked cool situation.

3. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the thought at the end that decorated walls are not mistaken for windows letting one see outside.

4. a vivid construction you made of that first room and I like the way you expand out into something more airy!

5. To live in a garage… i shudder at the thought

6. memadtwo says:

I identify with this. You only need one dark apartment to make light a priority for your living space. (K)

7. calmkate says:

ouch sounds like you learnt from experience … I prefer windows too 🙂

8. Suzanne says:

I enjoyed your poem. Living in unlikely and uncomfortable places does really have a long term impact on the choices we make afterwards.

9. Vivian Zems says:

I don’t blame you for choosing airy windows. My daughter is in the same situation…she’s ‘being independent’- and her place has NO windows- awful!!! I enjoyed this. 🙂

10. Teacher Camille says:

Ah, I felt the poem so much! It’s really suffocating living in a contained space. What a great poem with vivid imagery!