Lurkers in Woods

Written for:  Poets and Storytellers United
Weekly Scribblings #39:  October Thrills  (posted by Magaly)

"Greetings, word lovers. Magaly here, writing to you while high October-is-coming! fumes. In case you haven’t noticed, I might be more than slightly obsessed with the tenth month of the year. I could blame it all on the thought of pumpkin chili and skull cakes, or on the all-around overabundance of witchy hats. But that wouldn’t be fair or true, since the fact that I will get to delight in scary prose and creepy poetry happens to be just as guilty.

I wish for everyone to create new poetry or prose inspired by anything October."

Amidst gold, orange and brick red leaves,
cinnamon scent, and apple cider,
costumes are being readied
for anxious children
impatiently waiting for Halloween.

On crisp, cold evening in twilight
beware of monsters who lurk behind
leafy trees–Ghouliani, Pursed Lips
Mitch, and The Don of Con.  Cover
your ears so you cannot hear

their gibberish talk.  They will
steal your candy for their bloated
bellies.  Be on the lookout
for liars and thieves.  They have
two-sided mouths, and bleed from each.

16 Responses to Lurkers in Woods

1. Helen Dehner says:

Well, this went from light and frothy to dark and spooky. Nice write, Sara!

2. Wow! That sounds like the true spirit of Halloween!

3. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

Such a contrast – and that is the fun of Halloween!

4. Beverly Crawford says:

From treat to tricksters! Guess we won’t be reading this one to the little ones!! Great fun.

I love “crisp, cold evening … (nearing) twilight” come October. It’s a time of partaking.

6. Lisa says:

I love it! I reached “Pursed Lips Mitch” and thought, “Wait a minute!” and went back! “They have two-sided mouths, and bleed from each.” What a vividly gruesome image! Perfect.

7. So creepily appropriate–I like!

8. oldegg says:

When I first came to Australia both the British Guy Fawkes night and Halloween were sometimes celebrated by the young ones but it doesn’t seem so popular anymore. One of the problems is that the seasons for us are upsidedown and the warmer weather and bush (wild) fires become more likely. Firework displays are held though with strict safety provisions.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )