Laura

Park, and thrilled to
the sounds of Laura
at the piano, eight
months pregnant, in
fabulous voice.  Fortunately,
I have all her music,
and it never grows stale.
Gone too young.

31 Responses to Laura

1. rothpoetry says:

Music stays in your mind for ever! What an interesting setting for a pregnant musician!!

2. Carrie V. H. says:

An amazing memory of an amazing talent! She was gone too young indeed! 💙

3. Sherry Marr says:

How wonderful to have seen her perform live! And in Central Park no less!

4. I’d never heard of her – will have to listen to her now to form an opinion 🙂

Thanks for the introduction!
    David

5. coalblack says:

THAT sound like a perfect memory! I’ve been a fan of hers since I was sixteen and saw “New York Tendaberry” in another girl’s record collection. I wondered, wow, who’s THIS? Before long I had all her records. I used to turn off the lights in my room, light candles and listen to NYT. My mother took it as a sign of drug use. It wasn’t.

6. wyndolynne says:

Marvelous remembrance — the music imprinting the time and place so vividly.

7. Beverly Crawford says:

So happy to be introduced to Laura Nyro, What a lovely memory you’ve shared. Thank you.

8. Truedess says:

You were lucky to see her perform and Central Park is a beautiful setting. The beauty of music is that is lingers long after the artist is gone. So sad, that she was taken so soon!

9. Helen Dehner says:

Of course, your write left me with body chills … what a remembrance. Happy Holidays dear Sara (formerly of PDX.)

10. kaykuala h says:

How wonderful Sara to have been there in person. It is a real pity she has to go early. Thanks for sharing!

Hank

11. qbit says:

Wow! That must have been amazing.

12. Susie Clevenger says:

What a blessing!

13. robtkistner says:

Strong piece Sara. Magical night I’m sure — wow! Well written. I am listening to Laura’s album “Angel In The Dark” as I write this. Damn she was so good. Left us way too soon!

She would be a natural for Central Park. Was it a concert or just under the trees. We had bands and singers and singer groups all over the parks here in the 60’s and 70’s. Janis Joplin came, the ZZ Top got their start here in Houston in 1968. I would ride my motorcycle from tree to tree, listening to group after group. Mrs. Jim heard Elvis in Shreveport, LA, at a playing for the Louisiana Hay Ride.